Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Confusing Words

IDENTICAL / PREPOSITIONAL PAIRS

Here are some examples: on and on, again and again, round and round, up and down, little by little, all in all

  • You needn't go on and on about needing a holiday. I know we haven't had a break for over a year now.
  • I've told you again and again to stop swearing in front of the children, but you take no notice.
  • We're not making any progress by arguing like this. We're just going round and round in circles. My head's beginning to go round and round.
  • How are you getting on now? ~ Oh, up and down, as usual. I have good days and bad days.
  • Little by little his heath improved and he was able to walk further and further each day.
  • All in all, it was a successful holiday in spite of some scary moments.

    on and on: without pausing or stopping, usually with go

    again and again: repeatedly

    round and round: moving in circles or spinning, usually with go

    little by little: gradually or slowly

    all in all: taking everything into consideration

4 comments:

FAMO1983 said...

Litle by litle I can understand Ur lesson because U alway told me again and again, but sometime my mind goes round and round, so please go on and on to remind me! All and all, U are a wonderful teacher althought U are serious in some moments ^__^
Is it right or rong, my teacher?

nguyenhonganhtesol said...

Litle by litle, I can understand Ur lessons because U always remind me me again and again, but sometimes i am absent-minded, so please go on and on to remind me! All and all, U are a wonderful teacher althought U are serious in some moments

meomatbu87 said...

It's wonderful...I like both the way u practice E and ur comment about ur teacher

meomatbu87 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.