Saturday, September 29, 2007

Functions Of English

MAKING COMPLAINTS

There are a number of formulas used when complaining in English. It's important to remember that a direct complaint or criticism in English can sound rude or aggressive. It's best to mention a problem in an indirect manner. Here are some of the most common:
  • I'm sorry to have to say this but...
  • I'm sorry to bother you, but...
  • Maybe you forgot to...
  • I think you might have forgotten to...
  • Excuse me if I'm out of line, but...
  • There may have been a misunderstanding about...
  • Don't get me wrong, but I think we should...

Ex:

  • I'm sorry to have to say this, but I think we need to take another approach.
  • I'm sorry to bother you, but I think you need to refine this layout.
  • Maybe you forgot to include his name and number.
  • I think you might have forgotten to finish the report on time.
  • Excuse me if I'm out of line, but your work has not been adequate lately.
  • There may have been a misunderstanding about what I expected from you.
  • Don't get me wrong, but I think we should concentrate on the Smith account for the moment.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear my teacher,
Can you do me a favor? I need a detail outline of the topic: "The most important factor for choosing a job is the money a person makes.What's your view?"
I have no ideal for that topic.Plz help me !! T-T
Thanks beforehand.

nguyenhonganhtesol said...

Fist, you have to decide if you agree with that idea or not.
Then, you have to think about 3 reasons to support your choise in order that you can have 3 paragraphs in the body of your essay.
For each idea, you also have to think about its supporting ideas,(maybe your own ideas, facts or examples).