With countable nouns
· another + singular nouns
Ex: another pencil
· other + plural nouns
Ex: other pencils = some more.
· the other + plural nouns: the last ones or people
Ex: the other pencils = all remaining pencils
With uncountable nouns
· the other + singular nouns = the last one (in a group)
· other + uncount nouns = some more
Ex: other water = some more water.
other beer = some more beer.
· the other + uncountable nouns = the remaining or left
Ex: The other beer = the remaining beer.
Another and other are indefinite, while the other is definite. Another and other can be used as pronouns
Ex: I don’t want this book. Please give me another.
- A plural noun can be replaced by (other + nouns or others). Don’t use (others + countable nouns).
- We can use another one, the other one and other ones.
Note: This vµ that can be used with one but these and those are never used with ones.