FUNCTIONS OF ENGLISH
1. ASKING FOR REPETITION
- Sorry. (with a rising intonation)
- Pardon (me). (with a rising intonation)
- Excuse me. (with a rising intonation)
- I’m sorry. I didn’t hear what you said.
- Could you repeat what you said, please?
- Could you say it / that again, please?
- Would you mind repeating that, please?
2. ASKING FOR MEANING
- Repeat the word or phrase that you didn’t understand.
- Ask for spelling
Ex: Philosophy? How do spell that?
- Philosophy? What does that mean?
- Excuse me. What does “philosophy” mean?
- What do you mean, exactly?
- Could you explain what you mean, please?
- Could I have some more details, please?
- Can you make it clear, please?