Friday, November 30, 2007

Everyday Conversations


I COULDN'T HELP IT

Daryl: I am upset. Somebody told my boss I have a part-time job.
Smith: And he doesn't like that ?
Daryl: No, he doesn't. He thinks that I am too tired to work.
Smith: I am sorry. I have to admit I told him.
Daryl: You told him ? Why ?
Smith: I couldn't help it. He asked me point-blank.

Explanation :

  • If you can't help the way you feel or behave, you cannot control it or stop it from happening. You can also say that you can't help yourself.
  • If you say something point-blank, you say it very directly or rudely, without explaining or apologizing.

7 comments:

Be Con Tinh Nghich said...

hì. It is terrible. Nowadays,many people like Smith in our life. They usually talk something which not good for their co-workers. I hate them very much. We couldn't help it(that means could not stop them talking about our life?)

nguyenhonganhtesol said...

Maybe they are jealous of us. Keep in your mind the saying "a fool always rushes to the fore". The gentleman should not be a stickler for the small-minded.

Anonymous said...

What does "a fool always rushes to the fore" mean?
It means that we shouldn't rushes to the fore; otherwise, we are fools, doesn't it?

nguyenhonganhtesol said...

No. It means the fool usually wants to prove that he/she is better than others.

Be Con Tinh Nghich said...

yeah yeah, maybe they are green with envy,right? hì
U are always urself, Sir! U are very very confident,"gentleman". hihi. I keep what u say in my mind...

meomatbu87 said...

Uhm...keep until u die...

Anonymous said...

Hi great blog! Does running a blog similar to this take a large amount of work?
I've absolutely no knowledge of programming however I was hoping to start my own blog in the near future. Anyhow, if you have any recommendations or techniques for new blog owners please share. I understand this is off subject nevertheless I simply had to ask. Thanks a lot!

Feel free to surf to my blog post e. e. cummings quotes