Monday, June 15, 2009

Confusing Words

EXPRESSING VIEWS AND OPINIONS

I. in my view / opinion

I think we would normally drop point of and simply say in his view (in my view / in their opinion / etc):

  • In my view, birds should not be kept in cages.
  • How important is it, in your view, that the twins should stay together?
In my opinion, it's very important.

If we want to use point of view, I think we would more often say from my point of view rather than according to my point of view. Both these expressions emphasise the position or angle you are judging the situation from:

  • From my point of view, it makes no difference whether you return on Saturday night or Sunday morning.
  • From a political point of view, the agreement of the UN is extremely important.
  • From the point of view of safety, always wear a helmet when you are on the building site.

II. to my mind

In my view, from my point of view, in my opinion are all fairly formal ways of expressing your opinion characteristic of written English. Less formal equivalents more characteristic of spoken English, include the following:

1. to my mind: to emphasise that this is your opinion

2. reckon: usually to express an opinion about what Is likely to happen

3. feel: to express a strong personal opinion

4. if you ask me: to express an opinion that may be critical

5. to be honest (with you): to express a critical opinion without seeming rude

6. as far as I'm concerned: to express an opinion that may be different from others'

· To my mind, the quality of their football is just not good enough.

· I reckon it'll rain later today. Let's go tomorrow.

· I feel she shouldn't be getting married so young.

· If you ask me, it's unreasonable to pay for something which should be free.

· To be honest (with you), I'm surprised you got into university with such low grades.

· As far as I'm concerned, the matter is over and done with and we can now move forward.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for your information!