I. SENTENCE FRAGMENTS
- Sentence fragments are incomplete sentences or part of sentences.
- Study the following examples of sentence fragments and how to correct them
1. Because of some students work part-time while taking a full load of courses.
Problem: This is a dependent clause
To correct: Because of some students work part-time while taking a full load of courses, they have very little free time.
2. For example, the increase in the cost of renting an apartment
Problem: There is no verb
To correct: For example, the increase in the cost of renting an apartment is rapid
3. Feeling lonely and failing most of his classes.
Problem: This is a participle phrase
To correct: He felt lonely and was failing most of his classes.
Feeling lonely and failing most of his classes, the student wisely decided to make an appointment with his counselor
4. Many young people who leave home at an early age
Problem: The independent clause is unfinished
To correct: Many young people leave home at an early age.
Many young people who leave home at an early age do not manage their money well.
Read the following sentences. Make a complete sentence if it is a fragment one.
1. The desire of all humankind to live in peace and freedom, for example.
2. Second, the fact that men are physically stronger than women.
3. The best movie that I saw last year.
4. Titanic was the most financially successful movie ever made.
5. For example, many students have part-time jobs.
6. Although people want to believe that all men are created equal.
7. Finding a suitable marriage partner is a challenging task.
8. Many of my friends who didn't have the opportunity to go to college.
9. Working during the morning and attending classes during the afternoon.
10. Because I don't feel that grades in college have any value.
11. The nuclear accident that occurred in Russia in 1986, the worst nuclear accident in history.
12. The first hint of the tragedy came two days after the accident occurred.
13. When radiation monitors' in Sweden indicated an increase in radiation levels over Scandinavia.
14. Radiation escaping into the atmosphere, drifting west over other countries, and causing crops and dairy products to become contaminated.
15. Opponents of nuclear power plants pointing to the Chernobyl disaster and the near-disaster at a U.S. plant in Pennsylvania.